Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Azerbaijan

Last night Umar suggested we move to Azerbaijan....

So crickets do chirp in the winter.

Okay, I first thought he was joking. After all, neither of us can speak whatever language they speak there, which I assume would be some kind of Russian or Eastern European mixed with some Arabic dialect. Not to mention it's located in a relatively unknown region of the world. But Umar apparently was serious.
Cue more cricket chirps, skeptical laughs and giant question marks floating in the air.

It seems like Azerbaijan is eager to hire some English tutors to teach English and they're willing to pay 2000 New Manat (Azerbaijan currency) a month. By the way, a New Manat (AZN) is worth 1.25 United States Dollars (USD). So 2000 AZN would be about 2510 USD (figured out by using a currency converter). Not bad. It's already a lot more than what we have right now (Have - as in how we have SAVED after EXPENSES - as in the number in our bank accounts). So Umar said that we should look into it. Both of us can work there for 1 year, accumulating money and living peacefully.

Hurm. Well, as long as we have running water, decent phone and internet connections, a warm house with some good kitchen appliances and don't wind up getting caught in a war, rebellion movement or violent anti-foreigner resentment. Though language IS a problem. It shouldn't be too bad right?

I don't care about how much money I make, I refuse to live in a place like this!


Now this kind of place, I don't mind spending a year here.

I doubt we'll be moving here at all. Not to mention neither of our families would be happy having their only granddaughter/niece living away in some remote faraway land. It's a nice opportunity but there's still a lot of things to contemplate about before moving to a new country.

1 comment:

d.o said...

i think u'll enjoy turkey or europe more... maybe :) how u doin, girl? ill try to visit you soon okeh. nak tengok baby!